I’ve been taking an online permaculture gardening class, with Matt Powers, and focusing on adding perennial vegetables, shrubs and trees to the property. Here’s a list of plants I’m thinking about adding this season, subject to change of course. Later on I’ll highlight some of these. I grow a lot of annuals but hoping many o f them will either self seed or I can save seeds for the next year. (p) = Perennial. (ss) – self seeds
- Aronia, Viking – produces an edible berry
- Goji Berry – I planted one last year but want a few more
- Lots of elderberry from cuttings of 2 large ones I have now.
Herbs for cooking/medicine/tea
- (p) Chamomile – Zloty Lan – I planted 2 chamomile plants last year but want a whole plot so got seeds to add this year.
- Self Heal – seeds
- (ss?) Cilantro – slo bolt
- (p)Hyssop – Blue. also deters flea bettles.
- (p)Catnip. For humans & cats : )
- (ss)Dill – Vierling.
- Stevia. For sweetening our food & for selling.
- Basil – thai sweet
- Basil – for pesto
- Calendula – Resina. will also attract butterflies/bees
- (p)Comfrey – for chop & drop, chicken feed, fertilizer & medicine
- Rosemary – I’ve never been able to get this to overwinter but have a new plan this year!
- (ss)Nasturtiums (ground cover, food, insects)
- (p)Stinging nettles (for chickens & humans)
Flowers to sell for cutting or to attract birds/butterflies/bees/insects
- (p)Hollyhock (note- short lived p.)
- Morning glory
- Snapdragon – apple blossom
- Sunflowers – mexican
- Apple – 3 varieties
- Plum – 2 varieties
- Mulberry – for chickens
- Paw Paw
Annuals (seeds will be saved for next year)
- Tokyo Blue Squash
- Big Top Bitter Melon
- Pumpkin (-Rouge Vif D’Etampes) for eating, selling & chicken fodder
- Melon – Golden Jenny
- Japanese white egg eggplant (for eating & selling)
- Japanese long purple eggplant
- Fairy tale eggplant (for market)
- Patio baby eggplant (for market)
- Carrot – Parisienne. Round carrots for eating & selling.
- Carrot – Cosmic purple. eating & selling.
- Pak Choy – extra dwarf. eating and possibly selling.
- Watermelon – Thai Rom Dao
- Cucumber – Japanese long
- Cucumber – Sikkim. Large red cucumber can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Parsnip – Half long Guernsey. Cooking, selling, storage.
- Melon – apple.
- Wax melon – Canton Giant.
- Winter melon – Valencia
- Sunflowers – Mammoth. For chicken feed.
- Cow peas – for chop & drop, chicken feed.
- Tomatoes of course – several varieties
- Salad mix
- Stir fry mix
- Peas – snap & shelling
- Black beans
- Sweet potatoes
- Pattypan squash
- acorn squash (from seeds I saved)
- Butternut squash (from seeds I saved)
- Daikon Raddish
- Walking onions
- Good king henry
- Grapes (have one, adding another)
- Potato Onion
This list subject to change and will surely get longer……